Thursday, July 16, 2009

iowa state fair

Some things are not meant to be "messed" with, especially things like the butter cow display at the Iowa State Fair ("ISF"). Don't get me wrong, I am okay with some change but don't change long standing tradition (1911).


Every year at the ISF there is a full-sized cow sculpted out of butter . The butter cow has been joined over the years by such greats as Superman and Bill Riley (you have to be an "Iweegin" to know who Bill Riley is)! Iweegin is like this: I wee gin (like the card game) for all of you foreigners!


This year the state fair committee (or someone else who has lost all connection with reality and all sense of what is right) wants to add Michael Jackson (in butter) to the butter cow display. I am sorry, there is no way that any part of that can be right! Are they nuts?

There was a place on the ISF website that allowed you to vote for or against having Michael done in butter. You can rest assured that I voted and I voted for my dear sweet husband too. He is not a natural born Iweegin but he needed to vote too. In case you aren't following along--I voted against Michael Jackson. If I would have had my act together all y'all would have been given an "opportunity" to vote too. The results of the vote will be posted on the ISF website tomorrow. Heaven help us!

If you have never been to the ISF or were not old enough to remember (sorry ber) then you really need to put this on your list of things to do; I am not kidding! I will join you if you want a "local's" perspective. The movie "State Fair" was about the ISF. Check out the history of the ISF. It is the best state fair in the nation!

I'm done now! My next post: help name my business contest--really!

No comments:

Post a Comment